Monday, March 16, 2009

Assignment #9 : Reaching out Part III

Exercise #1 : Interview 2 of your role models.

First interview : Karon H. Pharm.D

My first interview was with one of the pharmacists that I work with. It was a face to face interview and she is African American. Even though I have known her for a while now, wow... was it awkward asking her about how she became a pharmacist. I asked her what path did she took to become a pharmacists and she said:
At first I was going to go to medical school, but after I did some internship at hospitals and see first hand what doctors do and other aspects of being a doctor I decided not to pursue being a doctor because I could not handle being a doctor and it wasn't for me. But since I have taken all the science class that are towards the medical field and I didn't want it to go to waste or start over in another field. During my internship at hospitals I saw what pharmacists do and some of my friends that were already in pharmacy schools encourage me to look into being a pharmacists, which I did and here I am, I have been a pharmacist for 15 years at Wal-Mart.

I was not able to ask her other questions, because we did not have enough free time to go through the rest of the questions. I probably ask her this coming weekend when I work with her again.

Second Interview : Courtney T. Pharm. D

My second interview was with a floater pharmacist that regularly work at the pharmacy that I work at. She is Vietnamese and graduated from UIC college of pharmacy. I asked her what path did she took to become a pharmacists and she said:
I was born in Vietnam, I was put in jail for a couple of months for trying to escape from Vietnam when I was 8 or 9 years old.... ( And me IDRIS said: WHATTTTT ARE YOU SERIOUS) I am serious because back then Vietnam was a communist country and the government wouldn't let any one leave so people have to find ways to escape to other countries and finally to America. When I came to America me and my family were on welfare for a while and one of the hardest thing for me was learning English and plus when I came to America I used to live down south, which explains my southern accent sometimes. I went to UIC for my undergraduate studies and when I was in school I had to work two jobs and when I got into pharmacy school I used to study all the time because I did not want to be a mediocre pharmacist. I wanted to graduate pharmacy school with honors... ( and me IDRIS said: Did you?) yes I did. It didn't matter if it was friday night, saturday or sunday I always study everyday during pharmacy school.

During the interview the pharmacy got really busy so I was not able to ask her other questions, but I will save that for the next time she work, but I was surprise about the stuff that she told me.

Exercise #2 : Complete your planning Wall.


I have to say after finishing this part of the assignment I realized the importance of having a digital camera and that camera phone are crap. Just thought I vent a little bit.

Exercise #3 : Complete your first step.

One of the first step that I have to do to achieve my goal, is to study for the tests that I have to take for the classes that are required for my goal. I started studying for one of the three tests that I have to take this week. The first test I have to take is for the class Vertebrate Embryology lab, which requires me to memorize 100+ words of different parts of a developing chick embryo. I started studying on Sunday evening and studied with a friend this morning. I am almost done studying for it, but then again only after taking the test would I know if I know each embryo structure. The next test I have is for community psychology, which is on Thursday morning, I am going to start studying for that test tonight then alternate between community psychology and Vertebrate Embryology tomorrow and Wednesday. The last test I have is french, which I will start studying for on Thursday night and Friday morning and hopefully be ready for the test on Friday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. wow, you learn something new everyday from people. nice

    ReplyDelete